- For the Caramel:
- (1/4 Cup) Butter
- (1/2 Cup) Honey
- (1 Cup) Cream
- For the Hot Chocolate:
- (Full amount) Hot Caramel
- (5 Large mugs) Water (*see note)
- (9 Heaping spoonfuls (about 14 TBSP)) Cocoa Powder
- (1 1/2 tsp) Vanilla
- (To taste) Honey
Melt caramel ingredients on medium heat in a medium saucepan. Whisk. Bring to a simmer and time for 12 minutes. Stir periodically. At the end of 12 minutes, add the water. Whisk. Add the cocoa powder and vanilla. Whisk. Add honey to taste (we like about 1/3 Cup). Whisk. Bring to a boil. Serve.
- *We have not tried this with milk, but are sure it would work. We like to do 1 mug cream 4 mugs water.
- It is nicer to drink immediately, as it is fresh it is foamy. The foam subsides with time.
- Before serving, we like to add about 1 1/2 TBSP cream to each cup of hot chocolate. This makes it lighter and airier and less dark-chocolatey.
- The caramel is not ideal for other recipes. It was made for this hot chocolate specifically.